Strong immune function is important for your body to be able to fight off viruses and bugs coming into the cooler months of the year.
Smoothies are a great as they pack in a lot of goodness to provide your body with lots of immune boosting nutrients. This green smoothie has been designed to help protect your body from nasties and includes important natural micronutrients , antioxidants, antibacterials, and antivirals.
Best of all, it’s delicious as well as nutritious and is made from whole foods and is gluten, dairy, sugar and preservative free.
- 1 cup Coconut Water or filtered water
- 1 Kiwi Fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 large ripe Avocado
- 1 cup Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 small Cucumber or 1/2 long Cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- 1/4 teaspoon Spirulina
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated Turmeric or 1/4 teaspoon dried powder
- 2 tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1-2 teaspoons of Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- For added zing, 1 teaspoon of freshly grated Ginger or ¼ teaspoon dried powder
- A few cubes of ice if you want it super chilled.
1.Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth
2.Pour into a large glass to serve.
- Coconut Water is rich in electrolytes to help you stay hydrated, especially when exercising which is an important pillar of health.
- Kiwi Fruit contains more vitamin C than an orange . Vitamin C is known to boost your immune system and aid in a quicker recovery from illness.
- Avocado is a wonderful immune boosting food that is not only packed with nutrients, but also helps to absorb fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K .
- Baby Spinach is rich in vitamins A and C. The antioxidants found in spinach may also help to protect your cells from environment damage that can weaken immune response.
- Cucumber is extremely hydrating and rich in minerals, antioxidants and fibre .
- Limes are also rich in key micronutrient vitamin C.
- Spirulina is another nutrient-rich ingredient which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties .
- Turmeric has been known to be a powerful immune booster, natural anti-inflammatory and a potent antioxidant.
- Virgin Coconut Oil is the best source of Lauric acid which been shown to have significant antiviral activity .
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) are a great source of the micronutrient zinc .
- Ginger contains Gingerol that may have antibacterial properties.