- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal plain flour
- 1+1/4 cups (165g) spelt flour
- 1+1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- generous pinch ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (120g) Niulife Coconut Sugar
- 2 tablespoons (35g) apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons (60mL) Niulife Coconut Syrup
- Dark chocolate to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F fan forced. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flours, spices, baking soda and coconut sugar. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. The dough should hold it's shape and be kneadable. If it is too wet, add a little extra spelt flour and if too dry add a little bit of water.
3. Knead the dough into a ball. Place the dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll out using a rolling pin to ½cm thick. Cut the dough into your desired cookie shapes and place on the baking tray 2cm apart. Continue to re-knead the dough into a ball, roll and cut until all the dough is finished.
4. Bake in the oven for 15-20mins or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool and harden.
decorate, melt your favourite dark chocolate and dip the Gingerbread Snowmen in
it. Leave to set.
Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days. They will soften the longer they stay in the container.